About the Community We Serve:
North Lawndale, On Chicago's West Side, is home to the members of S.A.F.E. This area has one of the highest homicide rates in the United States. The neighborhood was the home of D. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his family when they came to Chicago to address the problems faced by urban America as part of an "End Slums" campaign in 1966:
- Over 71% of children live below poverty line.
- Over 90% of children receive SNAP benefits.
- 67% of the students drop out of local high schools
- 52% rate of unemployment for ages 16-30.
- More than 40% of the land is unoccupied - vacant lots and abandoned buildings dot the landscape
- The average age of the residents is 22 years old.
YOU CAN MAKE A CHANGE
IN THE LIFE
OF ONE CHILDTODAY
MISSION OF S.A.F.E.
Too many families have lost loved ones to violence or to the judicial system. The mission of St. Agatha Family Empowerment is to improve the community child by child, family by family. S.A.F.E. promotes the social, emotional and economic growth of the North Lawndale area. S.A.F.E. empowers children and families on the West Side of Chicago to make positive, life enriching choices. The goal of S.A.F.E. is the healthy, safe, growth of all the S.A.F.E. children.